Friday 28 November 2008

Friendship criteria


Friendship, this wonderful thing/feeling/value that helps us weave the net of our lives.

This word has always played a very important role in my life, especially in my adult life, friends are my company, good friends are my family. I've got many friends. I've got some good friends and a few best friends, the latter ones are my brothers.

What are your friendship criteria? Who's your friend? Who's your best friend? Does he or she know that they're your best friends?

Have you ever dropped a friend? Have you ever let down a friend and regretted doing that? Have you ever been let down by a friend? I'm sure all the answers are positive.

Now tell me, what would you do for a friend?

I miss my friends, a lot. We sometimes speak over the phone or skype, we also send text messages or e-mails etc, however, some of them don't use the internet and we rarely speak.

The other day it was my birthday, I expected (and so it happened) my good friends to call me, since I am far away calling to wish me happy birthday would be a good chance to talk and catch up too.

And here are some criteria, it's like a rule I've set up myself. On a friend's birthday best friends ought to call, good friends ought to send a message or an e-mail and the rest friends/acquaintances are to write on the Wall on facebook. I always try to apply this rule when it's a friend's birthday. I' m referring to cases that the friend is far away and it's difficult to see them that very day.

Don't get me wrong, of course it's reasonable (and excusable) if someone forgets my birthday (I forget theirs too) but I prefer my best friends to forget it rather than send a text/e-mail. And the main reason is that I am far, in another country, and I really miss them so I'd like to hear them, especially on my birthday.

I wouldn't write this post if the postman didn't hand me an envelope the other day, it was a birthday card from a friend, coming from the other side of the ocean. As soon as I saw it I wore a smile for the rest of the day. That added a criterion to the rest ones and, tell me, wasn't that a wonderful surprise from a wonderful friend?

I don't know how to thank you my friend, I'm grateful.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with your entry a lot. I am really bad at remembering bdays and I actually feel weird saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY on facebook. I won't name the person who sent you an envelope, but I will tell you she thought about it way before your birthday. Isn't that awesome?

SALUDOS!

Z. said...

Yes my friend, it's awesome.
Saying Happy Birthday on facebook is weird indeed, especially when it comes to close friends.

Anyway, writing down and sending your personal wishes on a card is an ideal way to make someone happy on their birthday.